Do you resonate with any of the following scenarios?:
- You have heard the term macros floating around social media or the internet and are curious what it’s all about.
- You’ve been trying to track your macros for a while and feel completely lost and stuck.
- You’re tracking macros on your own but aren’t seeing the results you expected.
- You’re the type of person who needs accountability to actually stick with a nutrition plan.
- You’re putting in a ton of hard work in the gym but you aren’t seeing the results you’d like.
- You feel like you’re always hungry, tired, or a combination of both and you’re on the borderline of burning out.
- The thought of special events or going out to eat gives you anxiety because you don’t want to ruin all of your progress.
- You’re working hard to “eat clean,” but feel massively restricted and miss your favorite foods and treats that you love.
Personally, I’ve been in each of these situations throughout the past few years, which is why I got started with my first one-on-one macro coach and decided to finally outsource to someone who had more experience and knowledge than I did.
Personalized macro coaching can be an invaluable tool on your journey to achieving your goals, both physically and mentally. You see, a good macro coach will do so much more than set your macros and send you on your way to navigating alone. A good macro coach will be there with you every step of the way, encouraging you to open your mind, trust the process, and lean into the HARD, whatever that might look like for you.
So, what is personalized macro coaching? Would it be a good fit for you? Let’s dissect and answer these questions so that you can move forward with confidence.
Why Count Macros?
Counting macros (even if you're counting macros for weight loss) is so much more than a diet, it’s a lifestyle, and one that allows you to customize your meals based on your goals and preferences. Here are a handful of my favorite reasons to track macros:
- You get to understand nutrition on a deeper level.
- You will find out how your unique body reacts and responds to different foods and different macros.
- You can make adjustments based on your goals i.e. fat loss, body recomposition (fat loss + muscle gain), and muscle gain.
- There’s no need to cut out any foods or entire food groups - nothing is “bad” or “off-limits.”
- It’s a super easy method of monitoring your calorie intake once you master the fundamentals of tracking.
- You can gain a much better relationship with your body and your food by counting macros.
- It isn’t a cookie-cutter solution, your macros are tailored to you and you alone.
Do You Need Personalized Macros?
Yes! Each individual person should have their own set of macros that are based on their body, lifestyle, and nutrition preferences. You have a few options when it comes to obtaining your personalized macro numbers:
- Use an online calculator to get a good estimate of your targets. These calculators are able to perform basic calculations, however, if you want more individualized and customized macro targets, you will need to dive a little deeper.
- You can calculate your own macros by following the guide inside this download.
- You can hire a macro coach or trained nutrition specialist to calculate your macros for you. You can choose from a one-time personalized macro count, or you can sign up for one-on-one coaching to not only get your macro numbers calculated, but to have a coach there to help you review feedback, make adjustments, and encourage you along the way.
What is Personalized Macro Coaching?
Personalized macro coaching is working one-on-one with a macro coach or nutrition expert with knowledge of macros to set macro targets, help you keep track of your progress, make adjustments when needed, and be there to support you along the way.
When it comes to tracking macros, especially when you’re new, it’s not always as straightforward as you’d like it to be. You will inevitably run into roadblocks, have specific questions, reach a plateau, etc. that you won’t know how to navigate on your own. This is where having a coach will come in clutch.
With most 1:1 macro coaches, you can expect that your coach will get to know you, your goals, and your preferences in order to create customized macros that fit your needs. From there, you’ll be given tracking tools and instructions for communication and weekly check-ins where you’ll have the opportunity to communicate with your coach regarding how things are going and what areas you might be struggling with.
A good macro coach will go deeper with you than the surface level and dig into helping you determine what the root causes are for your common roadblocks and how you can change your mind and your habits to overcome them.
Who Should Try It?
Hiring a personalized macro coach is NOT for everyone. It’s important to be in the right mindset before making a hire and to fully understand the work that YOU will need to put into it in order to see the results you require. A good macro coach will be able to meet you at least halfway, but the majority of the effort will need to be made by you.
Consider hiring a personalized macro coach if:
- You’re committed to finally ending the restrictive diets and yo-yo dieting that you’ve been using for years.
- You have a desire to truly learn about nutrition and how you can make it a sustainable, long-term lifestyle.
- You are ready and available to have an open and honest relationship with your coach.
- You’re willing to learn to shift your perspective from focusing on the number on the scale to tuning more into how you look, feel and perform.
- You’re aware that sustainable change takes time, effort, and most importantly, consistency.
- You’re serious about making the lifestyle changes necessary to create habits that will last a lifetime.
- You understand that this is not a diet, it’s a lifestyle and it should be treated as such.
- You’re ready to put in the work!
- You want to lose weight quickly.
- You want someone to give you a step-by-step, meal-by-meal template for achieving your goals without taking the time to understand the science.
- You want a coach to tell you what you can and cannot eat.
- You’re not willing to put in the work.
- You aren’t ready to commit to being honest with yourself, your tracking log, and your coach.
I’m Ready! How Do I Get Started?
If you’re ready to make the sustainable, healthy lifestyle changes associated with macro counting, congratulations! This commitment, if followed through with properly, will be one of the best decisions you ever make for yourself.
If you want to hire a macro coach for personalized macro coaching, I recommend starting with an app like the 1st Phorm App or MyFitnessPal to get your feet wet and begin to build a relationship with tracking macros and working with a coach, but at a low barrier to entry.
A good macro coach who is worth their salt will charge what they deserve, which will most certainly be an investment for you, and one that will be worth every penny. That said, I know that jumping into a pricey coaching program can feel daunting, especially when you’ve never tracked macros before and aren’t sure where to start.
Still have a few questions about macro coaching and whether it might be a good fit for you? Here are a few common questions I see.
What makes macro counting different from other diets?
Macro tracking is not a diet, but a tool for handling your nutrition. There are no hard and fast rules with tracking macros. It’s science-based and your calculated numbers will be matched to your specific needs.
Is macro coaching only for those who want to lose weight?
Nope! Macro counting is a tool that everyone can (and should) use when they want to understand their nutrition better and how they can eat sustainably for their unique bodies. Whether you want to lose weight, gain muscle, or do both, macros will help get you there.
How much does a macro coach cost?
For personalized macro coaching, you can expect to pay anywhere between $300-$1200 for a 4-week coaching session. Those who want a high-touch macro coach will need to be willing to make a serious investment, which is, in my opinion, a phenomenal investment into your health. However, I understand the hesitation and the financial constraints, therefore, I highly recommend the 1st Phorm App to get started!
How do I find a good macros coach?
You already found one! All kidding aside, it’s important to find a macro coach that you resonate with. Take a look at what he or she preaches and make sure that it’s in alignment with your goals and personality. You will need to be able to open up and have honest conversations with your coach, so it’s important to choose someone you can trust and feel comfortable sharing with.
Wrapping Up: Is Personalized Macro Coaching Worth It?
Yes, investing in yourself by hiring a personalized macro coach is 100% worth it. For those who are tired of traditional diet culture, restrictive diets, and feeling as though they’re lost when it comes to nutrition, the information and value that you will get out of coaching will no doubt re-invigorate your pursuit of health.
Lastly, when you invest in something and you have someone there to hold you accountable, you are far more likely to follow through and put in the work.