I realized the other day that I hadn’t stepped foot in a Walmart in over three years. It’s amazing how you find your groove with certain grocery stores and just kind of forget about the others!
But we’re always looking to provide the best, most relevant information and ways to be healthy on a budget and Walmart was at the top of the list when it came to stores to find macro-friendly foods. And let me tell you, I was beyond excited about all the foods I found at my local Walmart and I will 100% be adding Walmart trips back into my rotation!
If you tend to utilize Walmart for your groceries, this article is going to help you navigate what to buy when you’re following a macro-friendly lifestyle. All of the recipes that we create here at FHM contain ingredients that can be found at Walmart as convenience, budget, and simplicity are always at the forefront of every recipe we create! Our goal is to make eating healthy and on a budget completely doable. And let’s not forget delicious!
Let’s dive into my healthy Walmart food haul to show you how you can utilize Walmart’s convenience and lower prices to get the macro-friendly groceries you need to make delicious and healthy recipes that your whole family will enjoy.
Snag a sample of our famous weekly macro meal plans!
Get a sneak peak of a members-only weekly macro meal plan!
How I Chose Healthy Walmart Foods
Healthy, macro-friendly, high-protein, low-calorie…we throw these terms around a lot when trying to buy groceries that will help us to hit our goals, but the lines are often blurred and are 100% subjective.
Here at FHM, we believe that all foods can be healthy and we don’t believe in labeling foods good or bad. Food is food, and it will all fit into our nutrition plan when we practice moderation. However, many of us are looking to find foods that are macro-friendly so that we can implement them into our nutrition plans and hit our goals, whether that be to lose weight, gain muscle, or maintain weight.
I chose healthy Walmart foods based on the following:
- Macro balance
- Ingredient quality
Why Shop At Walmart For Macro-Friendly Foods?
If you’re like me, you might have forgotten that most Walmart stores have an excellent grocery section, but the truth is that they do! And they carry a ton of my macro-friendly staples and favorites at prices that make sense for feeding a family.
Here are three reasons why I think you should add Walmart to your list of healthy grocery store options:
- It’s budget-friendly. Let’s face it, groceries are not getting any cheaper, so why not find the stores that offer them at the most affordable prices? Walmart has a reputation for lower prices making it a budget-friendly grocery store to shop at for your weekly groceries.
- They have a great selection! Between national brands and Walmart’s own line of products, you have access to tons of foods and options which allows you to make selections based on your preferences and needs.
- It’s a one-stop shop for so many household and family items. When I’m out grocery shopping, it’s a given that I’m also shopping for household items like cleaning supplies, laundry detergent, deodorant, a new pair of shoes for my growing kiddos, etc. Walmart has you covered with almost everything.
Healthy Walmart Grocery Haul: Here’s What I Picked
Here are the macro-friendly Walmart finds that I identified during my latest Walmart trip. Keep in mind that your store may not carry these exact items and that grocery stores are always evolving and adding new items! The goal of this grocery haul is to share examples and ideas with you so that you can feel confident shopping at Walmart while following a macro-friendly nutrition plan.
Walmart Macro-Friendly Protein Sources
- John Soules Foods Blackened Chicken
- Tyson Grilled & Ready Pulled Chicken Breast
- Calle Sabor Fajita Seasoned Shredded Chicken
- Applegate No Sugar Uncured Bacon
- Banza Mac & Cheese
- Butterball Turkey Burgers
- Festive Turkey Breakfast Sausage
- All Natural Lean Ground Beef (96/4)
- Asiago Peppercorn Seasoned Pork Loin Filet
- Kodiak No Bake Protein Balls
- Flap Jacked Mighty Muffin
- Jimmy! Protein Bar
- Kodiak Protein Oatmeal
- Magic Spoon Protein Cereal
- Oikos Pro Yogurt
- Powerful Bites
- Chobani Greek Yogurt Smoothie
- Cage Free Liquid Egg Whites
- Chomps Chomlings Mini Beef Sticks
Walmart Macro-Friendly Carbohydrate Sources
- Marketside Cilantro Lime Rice
- King’s Hawaiin Rolls
- Bibigo Fried Rice
- Caulipower Pizza
- Green Giant Veggie Spirals
- Del Monte Veggieful Riced Cauliflower
- Caulipower Dinner Made Easy Gnocchi with Tuscan-Style Marinara
- Mission Whole Wheat Carb Balance Tortillas
- Rao’s Slow Simmered Soup
- Great Day Lentils
- Maple Grove Farms Sugar-Free Maple Syrup
- Catalina Crunch Cereal
- Special K Zero Cereal
- Good Good Strawberry Jam
- Honey Bunches of Oats Granola Chips
- Arnold Keto Burger Buns
- Joseph’s Lavash Bread
- Boom Chicka Pop Popcorn
Walmart Macro-Friendly Fat Sources
- Light Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges
- Bolthouse Farms Greek Yogurt Dressing
- B Happy Peanut Butter Blend
- Great Value Whipped Cream Cheese
Walmart Macro-Friendly Snacks & Treats
- Blue Bunny Mini Swirl Ice Cream Cones
- Diana’s Milk Chocolate Banana Babies
- Dippin Dots Fruit Pearls
- Tru Fru Dark Chocolate Strawberries
- Muddy Bites Waffle Cone Snacks
- Keebler Mini Graham Crusts
- Halo Top Fudge Brownies
- Maz Mallow Zero Sugar Marshmallows
- Birch Benders Chocolate Frosting
- Coke Zero Sugar Mini Cans
- JoJo’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Filled Bites
- Lily’s Cookies & Cream Chocolate Bar
- Clio Greek Yogurt Mini Bars
Final Thoughts on My Macro-Friendly Walmart Haul
My latest trip to Walmart left me with the realization that there are so many amazing macro-balanced foods there that I definitely need to add them back to my grocery store rotation. I found several items, particularly macro-friendly snacks, that I don’t usually find at my other popular shopping spots.
Plus, the convenience of a store like Walmart is hard to beat. Honestly, it ranks up there with Target when it comes to being convenient, although I tend to spend a little less on random things at Walmart when compared to Target.
If you want to see how my team uses these macro-friendly Walmart staples to put together our simple, macro-balanced recipes, make sure you’re on the list to get our free weekly meal plans! While you’re at it, come follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and TikTok!