Sandwiches are always a great go-to, especially when you’re looking for something quick and easy to make. But a lot of times sandwiches can be loaded with sodium, carbs, while also lacking nutrients such as healthy fat and fiber. So today we are going to change that. Let’s make a balanced sandwich together! Introducing our macro-friendly Healthy Ham and Cheese Club Sandwich with 34g of protein!
This recipe is satisfying on its own, but feel free to pair it with your favorite veggies or side. Voila, lunch is served!
Snag a sample of our famous weekly macro meal plans!
Get a sneak peak of a members-only weekly macro meal plan!
3 Reasons Why You Will Love This Recipe
- This recipe is quick to make. This recipe can be made in under 15 minutes start to finish. If you’d like to make it even faster, you can use some shortcuts, such as buying pre-cut and pre-washed lettuce.
- This sandwich doesn't require a lot of prep work. Minimal cutting, chopping, and cooking required. This also helps with time and clean up!
- It’s balanced. This sandwich contains all of the nutrients you need in one recipe. Protein, check. Healthy fat, check. Fiber, check. It’s the perfect lunch combo to keep you energized throughout your afternoon ahead.
The ingredients to this sandwich are pretty straightforward and also very customizable. This is the kind of recipe that you can very easily make your own!
- Whole grain bread
- Deli ham
- Swiss cheese
- Turkey bacon
- Dijon mustard
Kitchen Tools Required
One of the best parts of this recipe is that it doesn’t require a lot of tools and utensils, which makes for a quick and easy cleanup. All you need is a cutting board, knife, toothpicks (if cutting into small pieces), and a plate to eat off of.
How to Make Healthy Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Step 1: Prepare all produce and toppings, as described in the recipe card.
Step 2: Spread condiments onto bread.
Step 3: Layer all ingredients onto bread and top with other slice.
Step 4: Cut into half or into fourths.
Step 5: Serve by itself or with your favorite side of choice (i.e. veggies, fruit, whole grain crackers, etc).
Swaps or Alternatives
Whole grain bread
This can be easily swapped with so many other alternatives. Following a gluten free diet? Simply use gluten free bread. Following a grain-free diet? Swap the bread with large pieces of lettuce and turn into a lettuce sandwich. Want to eat less carbs, but don’t want to eat just lettuce? Replace the bread with a lower-carb option such as a bread made out of cauliflower or a sandwich thin.
I used deli ham and turkey bacon, but this can easily be changed. If you prefer deli turkey for example, use that! If you’d like to make this vegetarian, you can replace the meat with plant-based alternatives.
I love ham and swiss cheese together, but just like the meats you can use your favorite cheese of choice. If you’re following a dairy free diet, you can simply omit the cheese or use a dairy free alternative.
This recipe calls for lettuce, tomato, and avocado. But the produce on this sandwich is limitless! Spinach, cucumber, pickles, onion, bell peppers would also be great options, just to name a few. Feel free to add as many or as little veggies as you prefer.
Mayo and mustard is all you will need. Although, feel free to add or take away depending on your needs and preferences. If you like some heat, topping with hot sauce is always super tasty.
To save you a bit of time, buy pre-washed and pre-cut lettuce. Also, if you plan to eat this sandwich throughout the week, cook a batch of the turkey bacon at the beginning of the week so you don’t have to cook a fresh piece each day.
Macros & Nutrition Information
Healthy Ham and Cheese Club Sandwich
- Cutting Board
- Toothpicks (optional)
- Plate, to serve
- 2 slices whole grain bread (I used Dave’s Killer Bread)
- 3 oz deli ham (I used Boar’s Head low sodium- about 3 slices)
- ½ oz Swiss cheese (I used Boar’s Head low sodium- about 1 slice)
- 1 slice turkey bacon (I used Applegate)
- 1 leaf lettuce (I used green leaf lettuce)
- 2 slices tomato
- ¼ avocado
- 1 tsp mayonnaise (I used Primal Kitchen avocado oil mayonnaise)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Prepare all produce and toppings, as described above.
- Spread mayonnaise and mustard onto bread
- Layer all additional ingredients onto bread and top with other slice.
- Cut into half or into fourths. If cutting into fourths, use toothpicks to hold the sandwich in place.
- Serve by itself or with your favorite side of choice (i.e. veggies, fruit, whole grain crackers, etc). Enjoy!