Craving something delicious and flavorful? Look no further than this easy macro-friendly Mediterranean chicken gyro! This low-effort meal is packed with grilled chicken, juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, creamy feta cheese and tangy tzatziki sauce. Not only does it deliver irresistible flavor, but it also comes together in less than 15 minutes – perfect for busy weeknight dinners or relaxed weekend lunches.
I have been on a major Mediterranean food kick recently. I love the fresh taste of Mediterranean foods, plus there are so many lean protein options to choose from! If you're looking for a meal that's both fresh and full of flavor, a chicken gyro is exactly what you need. Gyros originated in Greece and have since become a popular street food throughout the Mediterranean region. Made with seasoned chicken, fresh veggies, and a tangy tzatziki sauce, gyros are a perfect balance of savory and refreshing. Plus, they're a great option for those who are trying to eat healthier.
It's no wonder that Mediterranean cuisine has become so popular in recent years – not only is the food delicious, but it's also healthy and packed with nutrients. From fresh herbs and spices to plenty of lean protein and veggies, the Mediterranean diet has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and other chronic health conditions. So if you've been craving a taste of the Mediterranean, be sure to try a chicken gyro – you won't be disappointed!
Snag a sample of our famous weekly macro meal plans!
Get a sneak peak of a members-only weekly macro meal plan!
3 Reasons Why You Will Love This Macro Friendly Mediterranean Chicken Gyro Recipe
- Insanely easy prep: When it comes to dinner, I always opt for meals that are both delicious and easy to make. Not only does this recipe take minimal effort to throw together, but it also features some store-bought items to save on time. With store bought grilled chicken and tzatziki dip, this gyro is sure to become your favorite no fuss meal.
- Fresh ingredients: When it comes to Mediterranean cuisine, fresh ingredients are a must-have. From juicy tomatoes to crisp cucumbers, the colors and flavors of this cuisine are what make it so irresistible. Plus the more colorful our plate is, the more nutrition we have in every bite!
- Perfect for summertime: It's almost summertime, and the last thing I want to do is be sweating over a hot stove making dinner. That's why I love this easy-to-assemble gyro recipe. It's perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or for serving up to your guests at your next backyard BBQ. Embrace the ease and enjoy the summer breeze with these delicious chicken gyros.
You may also love our macro-friendly BBQ chicken kabobs recipe!
- Grilled Chicken Breast: To keep this recipe super simple and convenient, I used Perdue Short Cuts Grilled Chicken Strips. You can make your own grilled chicken if you prefer!
- Tzatziki Sauce: I used Boar’s Head Tzatziki Greek Yogurt dip- this stuff is SO delicious!
- Veggies: I used mini cucumber, spinach, and cherry tomatoes. Other vegetables that would be good are red onions, peppers, or romaine lettuce.
- Pita Bread: I picked up Toufayan Whole Wheat Pita Bread. I suggest using a whole wheat variety to help increase your overall whole grain intake which is higher in fiber!
- Feta: For this recipe, I used Athenos reduced fat feta crumbles to keep the fat content lower. Personally I love the flavor of feta cheese, but some may not, so you may omit if needed.
Kitchen Tools Required
- Cutting board
How to Make Mediterranean Chicken Gyro
Prepare the gyros: Halve the cherry tomatoes and cut the cucumbers into small coins. Toast the pita bread until warm and golden. Warm the chicken if desired.
Assemble the chicken gyros: Lay spinach on the top of the pita. Add chicken (about 3 strips) and top with tomato and cucumbers. Drizzle the tzatziki and crumble the feta on top of the pita. Wrap the pita up and enjoy!
Swaps or Alternatives
This is such a versatile recipe that you can switch up the meat and toppings with whatever you’d like! Check out the list of alternatives below:
- Chicken thigh
- Humus (red pepper, garlic, etc.)
- Roated eggplant dip
- Oil and vinegar
- Romaine lettuce
- Red onion
- Pickled onion
- Cabbage slaw
- Green peppers
To make this meal low effort and a breeze to put together, use store bought grilled chicken strips and tzatziki sauce. This is the perfect meal prep or weeknight dinner option! I highly recommend preparing all the individual ingredients ahead of time so that when you're ready to eat, you can quickly assemble the sandwiches in no time. Trust me, this meal is a must-try for any low effort meal lovers out there!
Can I make the chicken myself?
If you prefer to and have the time, absolutely! To make the chicken on the grill, grill them on medium-heat for 5 minutes on one side, turn over and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Internal temperature should register 165 degrees F. To bake chicken in the oven, bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until done.
What should I serve with chicken gyros?
If you’ve ever been to a Greek restaurant, they typically serve gyros with french fries! Other options could be Greek salad (my favorite), Mediterranean orzo salad, grilled zucchini, braised white beans, or roast potatoes.
Macros & Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 gyro
Easy Mediterranean Chicken Gyro
- 1 Knife
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Toaster
- 1 Plate
- 1 Spoon
- 1 package of Perdue Short Cuts Grilled Chicken Strips
- 4 tbsp Tzatziki Sauce, Boar’s Head
- 4 pita breads, Toufayan Whole Wheat
- ½ cup Spinach
- 10 Cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Mini cucumber
- 4 tbsp feta cheese, Athenos reduced fat crumbles
- Prepare the gyros: Halve the cherry tomatoes and cut the cucumbers into small coins. Toast the pita bread until warm and golden. Warm the chicken if desired.
- Assemble the chicken gyros: Lay spinach on the top of the pita. Add chicken (about 3 strips) and top with tomato and cucumbers. Drizzle the tzatziki and crumble the feta on top of the pita. Wrap the pita up and enjoy!