Experience a healthier twist on a family classic with our Macro-Friendly Turkey Sloppy Joes recipe. We packed this recipe with lean ground turkey and a flavorful sauce to deliver a satisfying and comforting family-friendly meal. If you're looking for a dish that's easy to make and that the whole family can agree on, these Turkey Sloppy Joes are it!
My first experience with sloppy joes came back in my school lunch days, and I can remember thinking that they looked terrible. Thinking back, the school probably just opened big cans of Manwich. And while there's nothing wrong with that, this elevated version of a traditional sloppy joe will not only be healthier, but more satisfying and nourishing. Add this recipe to your family's mealtime rotation and watch as it becomes a weeknight favorite!
3 Reasons Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's a healthier twist on a classic dish. We often think that when we have weight loss or body composition goals that we need to give up all our favorite foods. Here at Fit Healthy Macros, we disagree, and we're proving that to you by offering healthier, more macro-balanced versions of the classics. This Macro-Friendly Turkey Sloppy Joe provides all the flavors and satisfaction of the traditional version but with more protein and less fat.
- High-protein. Whether you have fitness goals or not, eating adequate protein is essential for everyone. Protein helps to keep us strong, lean, and fueled, and our Turkey Sloppy Joes contain over 36g of protein per serving, which gives your diet a big boost of hearty, healthy protein.
- Easy to make. This recipe allows you to get dinner on the table in 30 minutes or less. Busy weeknights call for simple recipes that can be thrown together with minimal ingredients, steps, and mess. This macro-friendly recipe fits right into your busy schedule!
“FHM Turkey Sloppy Joes”
Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 Wooden spoon or spatula
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Toaster or Oven
- measuring spoons
- 1 Grater (for cheese, if not pre-shredded)
- Serving plates
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup sugar free ketchup
- ¼ cup sugar free BBQ sauce (I used G Hughes BBQ sauce)
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tbsp vinegar (white or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 4 whole grain or wheat hamburger buns
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and allow it to heat for a minute.
- Add the diced onion and minced garlic to the skillet. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onions become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey to the skillet. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to break it apart as it cooks. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the turkey, stirring occasionally, until it's browned and fully cooked, usually about 5-7 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ketchup, sugar-free BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and yellow mustard. Stir until well combined.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the cooked turkey in the skillet. Stir to coat the turkey evenly with the sauce. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- While the mixture is simmering, lightly toast the hamburger buns in a toaster or oven.
- Once the turkey mixture is heated through and the sauce has thickened slightly, remove the skillet from the heat.
- To assemble the turkey sloppy joes, place a scoop of the turkey mixture onto the bottom half of each toasted bun.
- Sprinkle a generous portion of shredded pepper jack cheese over the turkey mixture.
- Top each sandwich with the other half of the bun.
- Serve your delicious turkey sloppy joes hot and enjoy!