Taco Tuesdays as a busy parent or professional might not have the same excitement to it as it used to. But while we might not be out drinking margs and crushing tacos at our favorite Mexican spot, that doesn’t mean that we can’t enjoy a delicious taco from home.
These macro-friendly easy-baked turkey tacos are not only delicious, but they’re also incredibly easy to make and are a far healthier alternative to greasy street tacos.
This taco recipe has been on rotation in my family menu for months and I decided that it’s finally time to share it with you! If you’re looking for a healthy taco recipe that checks all the boxes when it comes to taste, nutrition, family-friendliness, and satisfaction, this baked turkey taco recipe has you covered.
Don't forget to use our free macro calculator to get your macro ratio numbers.
Snag a sample of our famous weekly macro meal plans!
Get a sneak peak of a members-only weekly macro meal plan!
3 Reasons Why You Will Love This Macro-Friendly Easy Baked Turkey Tacos Recipe
- These tacos are made with lean ground turkey, saving you a ton of extra fat and calories, especially when you opt for the 93/7 ground turkey. Plus, the way this recipe cooks, your ground turkey will be tender and full of flavor.
- When your week is busy, having this baked turkey taco recipe in your back pocket will be a lifesaver. These come together in 30 minutes or less and require minimal ingredients prep work on your end. Easy peasy!
- This is a recipe that everyone in the family will love. My picky kiddos even rave about these tacos, gobbling them up in record time. I don’t find too many “healthier” recipes that everyone in my family enjoys universally, so when I do I hang on for dear life!
- Lean ground turkey – I used 93/7
- Hard taco shells – I like the “stand and stuff” ones
- Taco seasoning packet
- Chopped bell pepper – any color will do
- Chopped onion
- Can of green chilies (drained)
- Can of diced tomatoes (drained)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Kitchen Tools Required
- Large skillet – I used one from Made In Cookware and it’s incredible – no sticking, no mess!
- Small paring knife
- Small cutting board
- Meat masher or spatula
- Cooking sheet – I love Caraway Home’s collection
- A tablespoon or small cooking spoon
How to Make Easy Baked Turkey Tacos For Busy Weeknights
1. Heat your skillet over medium heat, spray with cooking spray, and add in your chopped peppers and onion. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until beginning to soften.
2. Add your ground turkey to the peppers and onions, allowing the turkey to cook thoroughly, about 8-10 minutes.
3. While your turkey and vegetables are simmering, preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and place your 12 taco shells standing upright onto your cooking sheet, and place in the oven for 5-6 minutes.
4. Once the turkey is cooked thoroughly, add the taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and green chilies to the skillet and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
5. Fill each taco shell with the turkey and veggie mix, spreading it evenly amongst the 12 taco shells.
6. Top the tacos with cheddar cheese and place them in the oven for 7-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the shells are golden brown.
7. Serve on their own, with rice, or with a side salad. Enjoy!
Swaps or Alternatives
If you don’t have ground turkey on hand or you don’t prefer it, you can easily swap in lean ground beef or ground chicken in its place.
If you want your tacos to have a little spice, adding in some chopped jalapenos will add a little bit of a kick without being overpowering.
Finally, if you want to up the protein content and satiety factor of these easy-baked turkey tacos, consider adding a can of refried or black beans to the recipe. The beans can either be mixed into the meat mixture or used as another layer when preparing your tacos.
- To make the best use of your time, pre-chop your veggies and have them ready to go.
- Make sure you select a skillet that’s large enough to contain a lot of volume. Once all of the ingredients are in the skillet, it’s a lot and you don’t want to have it spilling over the edges of the pan.
Macros and Nutrition Information
Macro-Friendly Easy Baked Turkey Tacos for Busy Weeknights
- 1 lb Lean ground turkey – I used 93/7
- 12 hard taco shells I like the “stand and stuff” ones
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 chopped bell pepper any color will do
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 4oz can green chilies (drained)
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Once hot, add diced peppers and onions.
- Once the onions and peppers start to soften, about 3-4 minutes, add in the ground turkey. Cook until the turkey is cooked through and no longer pink.
- While your turkey is cooking, preheat oven to 400F and place 12 taco shells upright on your cooking sheet (the stand-and-stuff shells do best with this). Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, diced tomatoes, and green chiles to your turkey and stir until well combined. Allow to cook for 10-12 minutes then turn off heat.
- Begin assembling the tacos by using a large spoon to stuff the shells full of the meat mixture, spreading evenly amongst the 12 taco shells. Top each taco with cheese.
- Place the tacos back in the oven and cook for another 7-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the taco shells are browned. Serve with rice, salad, or on their own. Enjoy!