These simple and quick High Protein, Macro-Friendly Bagel Bites do not require yeast, a mixer, or any other fancy items that you don’t already have at home. You can bake them in the oven or the air fryer and customize to your liking by adding your seasonings of choice.
Craving a savory bagel? Follow the instructions for our Everything Bagel Bites. Feeling more sweet today? Check out our Cinnamon Sugar Bagel Bites. This easy recipe has minimal ingredients and can be made in under 30 minutes. You’ll definitely want to save this one!
Snag a sample of our famous weekly macro meal plans!
Get a sneak peak of a members-only weekly macro meal plan!
3 Reasons Why You Will Love This Macro-Friendly Bagel Bites Recipe
- It is easily customizable. Following a gluten free diet? Simply swap the flour with a gluten free flour. Dairy free? Use dairy free alternatives. The seasonings are also customizable to your liking! We used ‘everything bagel’ seasoning and a cinnamon sugar blend, but feel free to use your preferred seasoning of choice!
- They have more protein than traditional bagels. Most bagels contain little to no protein. We used Greek yogurt in this recipe, so these bagel bites have more protein than most bagels you buy in the store.
- They are great for meal prep. These bagel bites are just a good leftover as they are fresh! Simply microwave, bake, or air fry for a few minutes to reheat. They are great to keep on hand for a quick grab-and-go breakfast or midday snack.
One of the best parts about this recipe is that it has less than 10 ingredients, a lot of which don’t require much prep work. For this recipe you’ll need:
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Greek yogurt
- Cream cheese
- Seasonings of choice (we used ‘everything bagel’ seasoning for a savory option and a cinnamon sugar blend for a sweet option)
Kitchen Tools Required
This recipe was tested in an air fryer, but we also added an oven method in the case you do not have an air fryer. Other than an air fryer, you will need a large mixing bowl, wooden spoon or spatula, and measuring cups/spoons. You also need a pastry brush (for the egg wash), but if you do not have a pastry brush you can simply dip the dough balls into the egg wash by hand.
How to Make High Protein Bagel Bites- Two Ways
Step 1: Mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2: Stir in Greek yogurt.
Step 3: Knead dough and roll into 8 even balls.
Step 4: Flatten balls, add cream cheese, and roll into balls.
Step 5: Lightly brush with egg wash and add seasoning of choice.
Step 6: Air fry or bake in the oven, depending on your preferred cooking method of choice.
Swaps or Alternatives
- All purpose flour
- This recipe was tested with all purpose flour, but feel free to experiment with your preferred flour of choice, such as a gluten free or whole wheat flour.
- Baking Powder
- The baking powder in this recipe helps the bagels to rise. It is not recommended that you omit or leave out this ingredient.
- Greek yogurt
- The Greek yogurt is what helps make this recipe contain protein, unlike traditional bagels. If you’re following a dairy free diet, you can simply swap out with a dairy free Greek yogurt alternative.
- Cream cheese
- If you’re not wanting “stuffed” bagel bites, you can omit this ingredient. If you are following a dairy free diet, you can swap the cream cheese out with a dairy free cream cheese alternative.
- The egg wash in this recipe helps to give it a bit of shine and also helps the seasonings to stick. If you are following a vegan diet, you can brush them with water or vegan butter. If you are allergic to eggs, you can substitute with regular butter.
- The only seasoning in the base of this recipe is salt. Otherwise, you can top with whatever seasoning you prefer! We experimented with ‘everything bagel’ seasoning for a savory option and a cinnamon sugar blend for a sweet option.
If you are using a flour that is ‘self-rising’, do not omit the baking powder. Also, make sure your baking powder is not expired. If it is expired, your bagel bites will not rise or form properly.
Macros & Nutrition Information
Everything Bagel Bites
Cinnamon Sugar Bagel Bites
High Protein Bagel Bites- Two Ways
- 1 Air fryer
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 Wooden spoon/spatula
- Measuring Cups & Spoons
- 1 Pastry brush
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or flour of choice*)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Fage 5%)
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
Making bagel dough balls
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the Greek yogurt and mix with a wooden spoon, spatula, or fork until well combined.
- Lightly dust work surface with additional flour. Place dough onto surface and knead until dough is tacky, but not sticking to your hand.
- Divide evenly into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then flatten with your hand into circles.
- Place a small square of cream cheese onto dough and roll into a ball, completely covering the cream cheese. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Lightly brush egg wash onto each bagel dough ball and sprinkle with your seasoning of choice.
- Bake using the instructions below, following your preferred cooking method of choice.
- Preheat air fryer to 325F.
- Lightly spray basket with oil and place bagel dough balls into basket, spreading out to avoid overcrowding.
- Air fry for 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet. Lightly spray with oil.
- While oven is heating, follow instructions above to make your bagel dough balls.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let cool for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!
- There is no need to flip the dough balls while cooking.
- If using an alternate flour, you may need to experiment with cooking times as each flour may bake differently.